a

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm sorry

It seems that I have bothered or possibly offended a couple people who i care about with the details of my post about my first doctor's appointment. I could be way off base here because no one has actually come to me directly, but through the grapevine it appears that a couple people are at least bothered. So I just wanted to apologize. I'm sorry, if you're one of those people, please know that it was never my intention to disturb or upset you.


Please allow me to give an explanation of where my head's at on this.
I probably should have put a bit of a disclaimer, if you will, on my first blog post to avoid any possible misunderstandings. Initially in creating my blog I had the intention of using this as an outlet for myself, for my own personal emotional and physical experiences during and possibly after my first pregnancy. I didn't honestly think anyone would be interested in what i had to say, and didn't necessarily intend to use that as a deciding fact for what i decided to say (i am pleased to find that you are reading this, it makes me feel a lot better then i thought it would! It makes me feel like you all are interested in my thoughts). I've always been better at getting my thoughts and feelings out on paper and saw it as a great opportunity for myself because of the ridiculous range of emotions I know I'm going to go through during this next year. Especially with Troy's deployment occurring in the next few months. It's going to have a huge impact on me and a huge impact on this pregnancy. I will be looking for support. I've never been pregnant before and there's a lot I don't know. After a discussion with some friends of mine, I decided it'd be nice to see another woman talk about pregnancy in detail in a "girl talk" way instead of text book generalities. I have found, even this far, that what helps me the most is hearing stories of other women's experiences.


I thought this would give me the opportunity to share some of the things I'll learn through describing my experiences as well as gain information through feedback of other's personal experiences. Nothing I have said or will say is going to be anything that's not considered normal practice or procedure by doctors (unless of course something unthinkable happens, in that case i may or may not talk about it) If you've been keeping up with my blog thus far, the area of concern is in my description of a vaginal ultrasound, pap smear, and breast exam. All these procedures and exams are considered normal and are described in every pregnancy book I've read or scanned through so far as well as being thought of as normal female education, meaning most females are aware of these and the procedures involved and have even experienced them. However, I was not aware until my first appointment and figured if I didn't know, there's other girls/women who also don't know. In an attempt to be both considerate and professional i used only a text book descriptions and labelling for these procedures. My only intent on sharing this information was to put the education out there about natural/normal procedures that are put in place simply to protect us and our babies. I just wanted to share what i learned.


Again I apologize if I did bother or upset anyone. Please understand that it is my intent to be both correct and professional in any further descriptions of doctor procedures or exams. I mean no disrespect to anyone and will not use slang words or derogitory verbage, but I do feel it's something that should be shared. I also feel that God gave us this beautiful privilage of carrying and delievering new babies into the world and he also privilaged us with the knowledge and science to perform many extensive exams to protect ourselves and our new babies. As one woman to another, I honestly feel that it is our responsibility to be unashamed of these things and to share them with eachother. We're only helping ourselves and our loved ones by being educated.


I hope this clears up any confusion and gives you a better idea of the angle I will be taking with my blog.


:-)

7 comments:

  1. This is your blog and you don't need to apologize for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No apologies necessary!! When I was pregnant I wrote a blog about how much bigger my boobs had gotten, haha. A lot of changes are going to be happening to your body and it's exciting! I don't think you were out of line WHATSOEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have nothing to apologize for. write what you think, you feel, etc., etc. let people who have issues with that write their own stuff.

    more power to you; i'll be reading with interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you say that it's people you care about that feel offended, which naturally makes it a little more complicated, but essentially this is your personal space and you shouldn't feel obliged to apologise for the way you express yourself. I've read your posts and I honestly didn't see anything offensive in them.

    Having a blog is partly about finding your written voice and it should be enjoyable. I think you've made a good start ... don't give up, stick to your guns and never feel obligated by censure.

    Ps: Pretty blog design too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness L, don't apologize! I love reading your honest and descriptive words. Keep a record of your experiences - you'll love going back in time and remembering all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is your blog and your words and just like all of the other online content - no one is forcing them to read it. Please don't change how you write or describe something for fear of offending someone. This is all about you and should be written in your voice so when you look back on it when your baby is a teenager you'll remember exactly how things were during this time in your life.

    Great blog design and interesting content - looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wholeheartedly agree with Jessica. Don't apologize.

    ReplyDelete