a

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A little surprise

I always thought it'd be kind of cool to start my own blog but never really had anything to write about. Nothing I thought anyone would be interested in reading anyway.

until now...

Let's travel back to

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Today I found out that our suspicions are confirmed facts! Troy and I have been married for a year in August, and have not been trying but at the same time we have not NOT been trying, if you catch my drift. Well, along came the date I was suppose to start my period, and there it went… about a week later I went to our family doctor to find out that I am positively pregnant! How exciting for us, our first baby. At this point I’m only about 5 weeks along, too early to get an ultrasound or see an OBGYN. I have already scheduled my OB appointment for 06/22 at which point I’ll be about 9 weeks along. I already can’t wait!! This whole thing has barely started and I’m so excited I don’t even know what to do with myself. It’s so surreal; it really has not quite hit me yet.
Troy had to be at work today of course, He’s currently taking a course at Orange Coast College, offered through the Marine Corp. It’s a residential electrician course. I surprised him by meeting him at his lunch time. I never visit him for lunch. I called him from down the street and said “hey I’m down the road, want to have lunch with me!?” of course he was totally surprised and loved the idea. So I went over to the school and we had lunch together. I made him close his eyes, telling him I had a present for him but didn’t have time to wrap it. He closed his eyes and placed the present in his hands, when he opened his eyes he saw before him a book entitled "so you’re going to be a dad”. He got it right away, looked up and smiled at me with the most excited smile I think I’ve ever seen! It was exactly what he’d been hoping for. He was so happy!
I’m already feeling pretty fatigued at times. Other than that, no symptoms yet!

I just can’t wait for what’s to come!



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

This week I’m visiting mom and dad and the rest of the family in Vancouver. I’ve been going crazy wanting to tell them I’m pregnant but have been struggling with if I should tell everyone at the same time, or tell my immediate family then tell everyone else later in the week. Well after asking some advice from troy and just thinking about what I really know about my parents, especially dad I decided to tell them first, then pass the news along later when I see everyone else.


I had lunch with Jamie earlier in the day and just couldn’t hold it in any longer, I just had to tell her! We had been talking about this and that for a few minutes, when there was a pause I just said to her “so… I just found out that Troy’s going to be a dad!” She just looked at me for a second like….”huh?” then it finally dawned on her…”what!!?? You’re pregnant!!!??” It was hilarious! We chatted a little about how I told Troy and how I found out and all that and determined that it’s just so crazy and surreal! Like, holy cow! We’ve been friends since we were little girls in the 9th grade and now I’m married and having a baby!! Wow, we really are grownups now.

Later in the day I decided it’s time to tell mom, dad, Emily, Ben, and Daniel. Daniel had been working late at work, and was having a hard time getting over to Mom and Dad’s house. So I decided to tell them all now, and go to Daniel’s place later to break the news to him.

We’re all sitting on the couch watching TV. I went upstairs to get a little gift for mom and dad. At this point, it’s totally irrational because I’m married and grown up and out on my own, but I was so so so nervous to tell them! I was so worried about what they’d say, how they’d feel, at times I was even worried that they’d be upset with me. Well duh Laura! You’re not a high school kid with doing this with some boyfriend. This is okay, it’s really great, they’ll be really happy!...Wrapped in baby blue and baby pink, two squares about 8x10 size. I handed the blue one to dad and the pink one to mom, “I got you guys a little something, you have to open them together, and they kind of go together…” They both thought it was a probably a painting I’d done for them, especially since Dad had just been asking me for a painting a few minutes earlier. Mom says, “what’s with the blue and pink?” Quick on the spot I had to come up with a clever excuse that wouldn’t give it away just yet, “well since they go together, blue for dad, pink for you so I’d know which was which.” Mom replies, “oh okay!” wow…. That was too easy! :-P

They open their presents and start to read “…Grandmother, Grandfather…remembers…??” and both look at me, then look at each other, then back at me, “WHAT!!! YOU’RE PREGNANT!!!!” One for dad and one for mom, books that they can fill out about themselves to give to their grandchild. Grandmother remembers…. And Grandfather remembers…. Little bits and pieces of their lives that they can share, paired with photos, with the new grandbaby. They were so thrilled! Emily and Ben were sitting right there too with the same reaction “WHAT! SERIOUSLY!!!???” from then on the questions poured in ….”When did you find out, were you guys trying, how far along are you…” so we all chatted for a little then called Troy. Troy was back here in Cali because he couldn’t get the days off to come to Vancouver with me. Mom and Dad talked to Troy a little, congratulated him and what not. Troy was so thrilled and so was everyone else. It went so so well.

Not ten minutes later dad was already on the phone calling his mom and sisters to tell them the great news. At that point it was time to go tell Daniel and his girlfriend Beth. I took Emmy and Ben with me over to Daniel’s. We told him and Beth. Their reaction expectedly was not quite so extreme. But they were thrilled and very happy for us, Daniel says “well now it makes sense why you texted me a million times to come over to mom and dad’s” I was so happy it all worked out and everyone was so happy.














What a fabulous feeling and a huge weight off my shoulders!



Saturday, June 5, 2010

Today me, Mom, Dad and Emily decided to head to the waterfront on the Vancouver side for a little walk and dinner at Mcmenamins. We thought it'd be fun to invite Bill and Theresa out with us. Theresa was able to make it to dinner, which was great! Perfect chance to share the exciting new news with her!

It was so nice out, great day for a quick walk. Mcmenamins was extremely busy, we ended up waiting for a good 45 minutes for a table out on the patio.

Lucky for Theresa, she showed up right as we were able to be seated. We chatted with her and ordered our dinner... all the while trying to figure out when to break the news to her. My mom she's so clever, she takes out her camera pretending to take pictures of whatever, and suddenly starts aiming the camera at Theresa, who of course is so not interested in having pictures taken of her...she's like, "what are you doing?" .... oh! the perfect time to tell her!

Boy did mom get the perfect series of pictures... they are an exact sequence of Theresa's reaction to this news... These completely speak for themselves






Obviously she was very very excited! Which made me so so happy! Eventually she went home and told Bill. So by the time Sunday rolled around the only one's who didn't know were Linda, Vern, Seth, and Shayne.

On Sunday I told everyone else and Linda was the one who freaked the most. She screamed and laughed and smiled. Unfortunately we couldn't get a great picture of it, but she was as excited as my own parents and Theresa. It was so great to know everyone was so happy! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!! Wow - all I can say is wow! Please, keep your blog updated!! I want to read up on you and your growing family.

    ReplyDelete