a

Friday, August 20, 2010

Quickening

I THINK i felt the baby move the other day!!!!
I'm not really sure about this, but it was sooo weird and sooo exciting! Almost all day off and on i kept feeling this really weird really quick sort of fluttery feeling in my tummy about two inches below my belly button, toward my right side. The weird thing was that it was not really anything i'd ever felt before. I'm still trying to decide if it was some sort of muscle spasm type of thing or if it was the beginning of baby movements.

I was doing a little reading on this and based on what i've read along with how far along i am (just over 17weeks) it's very possible that i'm beginning to feel something. The websites i've checked out say it's called quickening and it's basically the first fetal movements that the mother can actually feel. The ultrasound allows the doctors to see the baby moving before the mother can ever feel it, but this quickening is considered the first time or times the mother can finally feel it. On the link i posted it says this usually will happen around 20 weeks for a first timer, however, many other sites i've looked at say it can happen as early as 13-14 weeks. It all varies depending on the mama and the baby. No pregnancy is exactly the same as another.

What i felt was sort of this twitchy really quick feeling that would happen for maybe a couple minutes then go away, then maybe twenty minutes later it'd come back. The thing that was throwing me off was that it was in the exact same spot (which i didn't think over that long of a time period i would feel the baby in literally the exact same spot. I guess i figured that it'd be moving all over the place and i'd feel things in different places, but as i've thought about it more, it's very likely that it's just chillin there in the same place and might move its arm every so often in the same way) and that it almost hurt.... it didn't really hurt, but it felt sort of tingly like when you hit a nerve in your elbow. Not when you hit your funny bone really hard,cause we all know that just hurts, but this was more like a weird tingly twitchy sort of thing. Very hard to describe. But it didn't feel like it was any sort of gas and it felt like it was in my tummy in the "hollow" space where the baby is.

I have not felt this movement again since that day so I'm not sure if what i was feeling was actually the baby or not. It could just as easily have been some sort of muscle stretching or straining or maybe gas of some kind... shoot i guess it's likely that it could have been anything. But let me tell you, since i felt that i've been hoping to feel it again because if it is our baby moving, that's seriously the most exciting thing that's happened yet!

1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting! It's got to be the baby! I felt Ferris around 17 weeks, too! I remember at first I would have to be laying down in a quiet room and concentrate SO hard to feel him!
    Yay, so exciting!

    ReplyDelete