a

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Few. The Proud. The Marines.

oh wow okay so "the deployment" (dun dun dun...) is nearing... closer and closer it gets! For you who are wondering he is leaving mid October. Honestly, for the sake of doing my duty as Marine Wife, I'm keeping some details out of this blog as far as exactly when he leaves, exactly when he comes back, where he's going, etc. I'll be more then happy to answer questions in a more private email sort of way, but for the sake of our men I'd feel more comfortable being sorta vague since anyone who wants to can read this blog. And you know how SOME people are these days. They'll take any info they can get and use it their advantage to destroy other people's lives... for what reason? I really don't know.

That takes me to this horrible story I heard at one of our family deployment briefs. One of the ladies was telling us that this actually has happened to a lot of wives/family members with Marines gone away in Iraq or Afghanistan (or other deployments). You know how we see on the movies when the Marine dies and they send the "big boss man" to the wife's house to deliver the bad news... well I guess SOME people (those people i was referring to above) dress up in a fake marine uniform (the nice one, dress blues, not the camo and boots.) or possibly a real uniform that they obtained one way or another. Using info they've gathered from different sites such as Facebook, Myspace, different online blogs, they figure out who the wife is, where she lives and what her Marine's name is, what company he's with, where he is exactly, etc. Then the one guy goes to the house tells the wife the bad news (which is fake cuz her hubby is still alive wherever he's at) then asks for tons of personal info such as social security numbers and such, saying he needs that info in order to get the Marine home, or whatever other lame excuse he comes up with.

First of all.... WHO would do this!? What an absolutely horrible and shocking thing! I couldn't even believe it when i heard it. I guess I should not be surprised, but come on! Secondly, the Marine Corp already knows EVERYTHING about you and your Hubby, so as a wife, why on earth would you just give this guy all the info? come on! this is just horrible. Luckily, the ladies at the brief gave us a description of the proper protocol for this situation, which really, is very different from the process these scammers are using. Ugh! it just makes me sick to think that people would really take advantage of a Marine Wife, while her Husband is out potentially killing himself so that YOU can have a better life! ooooh it just sends me into a rage. People are just sick, sick, sick!

That story scared me enough to keep some information out of public access. Just know that he's leaving mid October and we need your prayers :-) and THANK YOU all very much, because both of us REALLY appreciate all the support that we're already receiving from family, friends and people we don't even know. We are so TRULY thankful for you all!

3 comments:

  1. Ben was deployed in May and granted, he's my husband, but he has a lot of over-protective siblings eagerly waiting his return.

    As for those people you mentioned...there's a special spot in Hell for them.

    I'll be thinking about all three of you and will be around if you ever need to chat or fire off an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's sick. i'll keep y'all in my thoughts through all of this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I have heard of this type of thing happening. I can't believe that there are people who would do such a thing...my son deploys around the same time. Your family will be in my thoughts as well.

    ReplyDelete