a

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Baby furniture

Right now I'm sort of at a stand still as far as baby stuff goes. I feel like nothing is happening to my body at all. Actually that's a lie, my tummy is slowly but surely getting fatter and my back has been hurting lately. I'm not sure if it's because my husband was playing too rough in the swimming pool the other day and I'm feeling the effects now, or if i need to get my butt in gear and work out more regularly. Maybe it's a warning for what's to come and I need to take the warning. I'm not so sure just yet.

It has been impossible for me to sleep lately. On that one I'm not sure if it's because I'm feeling anxious and overwhelmed about the deployment. But, my body really hurts, like laying on my side, my joints seem to hurt at every pressure point. I never had a problem before, so it must be a baby thing. I was just thinking after all this crazy prego stuff we go through, it's a wonder we automatically love these little one's when they do finally come out. Anyone else in the world who did this to ya, messed with your body, your mind, and made you crazy for 9 months, it'd take a miracle from God for us to forgive them and love them after that. But nope, not babies. They're exempt from that i guess.... hmmm..... it must be because they're so dang cute ;-)

On a happy note, Troy and I decided it'd be nice to look at SOME baby stuff together before he leaves. We just looked online mostly at cribs/nursery sets (changing tables, dressers, etc) and strollers. I, admittedly was terrified of his taste. We have yet to buy furniture together but when he talks about it it scares me! I'm picky and particular and if i could have what i want we'd already have a beautiful new living room and bedroom. I LOVE watching HGTV and I love thinking about decorating and I've ALWAYS been so excited to have my own place to finally decorate the way that i want... now I'm married and have to take into consideration Troy's taste as well. Besides the fact that we're in an apartment and have decided to wait 'til we have a house to put the stuff in before we go out and pick out cute furniture. Anyways... I'm scared to death of his taste. I'm stubborn about cute furniture. When I have a vision I want to roll with it. Much to my surprise, we actually were able to compromise on this awesome crib and changing table that we'll probably end up getting.
This is AWESOME! It has the shape and wood that I was looking for and the practicality that Troy was looking for. It has an adjustable mattress, it turns into a toddler bed, a day bed, then later a full size bed frame.

Yea that's awesome right! and looks cute too. So we'll get that one, or one very similar to that. Now the argument stood around a changing table. Troy is convinced we don't need one. Which agreeably we could probably live without one, but whatever why would we!? It'd be so much more convenient and pleasant for me to have a changing table to use. Plus this one hides everything away, which is something i LOVE. I just love when there's doors and things to hide all the ugly unsightly things.

Plus it's cute!
I feel bad about this now, but my snappy moody mom-to-be attitude came out when we were talking about this. I said to him, "I didn't get a wedding, I didn't get to pick out our apartment or any furniture in it (that i didn't already own because of hand me downs), I don't get to live in a house with you that i get to decorate, I have to live in California away from my "home", I have to deal with you going to Afghanistan while I have a baby without you. I want ONE thing at least. Just let me pick out baby room stuff. Because I won't even get to make that the way I want because it'll have to double has a guest room and possibly an "office"!"
A little harsh, which i apologized for and I don't really blame him for, I agreed to all these things too, but sometimes it just gets me. It's stupid in the big scheme of things I know but It's our first baby. Let's learn from this one. I'm sure as more come and we have no money or means to splurge, we'll learn to just accept donations and hand me downs. But at least ONCE lets buy our own!

So, we're gonna!

We didn't pick an actual stroller that we want, but we did find a style that we both like. The one's with three wheels that can accommodate an infant carrier and a little later accommodate a toddler. We want one that's fairly compact. We're not looking for anything huge and bulky. The less stuff to deal with the better. We'd be happy to take suggestions if anyone can recommend one that's a reasonable price. Also we were looking at carriers, the one's that go on your front or your back. We'd love a recommendation for one of those too. We'd like one that isn't too girly and mom-ish looking, that Troy would feel comfortable wearing as well. I think right now we'd like a front facing one, where the baby sits on your tummy.

oh! this is so exciting, and so expensive! We've never done this before and would LOVE some advice and suggestions on great products (of any kind) that are affordable on a fairly small budget.


3 comments:

  1. Love the convertible crib/bed. My friends have all said just to get the essentials - it's so easy to get sucked into the world of baby gear and blow a lot of money that you'll use for a month or never at all.

    Let me know when (if?) you register!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! Nobody understands nesting until you"re actually pregnant... and it comes fast and fierce!! You feel this urgency that will not go away until everything is decorated, washed, packed and in order! I remember it well!!
    So for carriers we had a baby bjorn which was fine for the first 6 weeks but after that it broke my back! I say skip the baby bjorn! I'm borrowing an Ergo carrier right now and it's amazing! All the weight goes around your hips, not on your shoulders or back! They're spendy but you can find them on craigslist. If you use them for tiny babies you also need an infant insert (it's called heart-to-heart, hard to explain you'll have to look on the website!).
    You can use the Ergo until the baby is a toddler! We seriously LOVE this one we're borrowing and plan on buying one when we have to give it back!
    Check them out www.ergobabycarrier.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important that you LOVE your nursery. You will be spending A LOT of time in there. I absolutely LOVE the boys' room, and have NO regrets about the money we spent to make it that way. We live in a crummy neighborhood, in a crummy duplex, the least I can have is a beautiful room for my babies!!!

    ReplyDelete